[scribus] Compiling Scribus for Qt5

William Bader williambader at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 1 14:30:27 UTC 2016

> Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 12:40:41 +0100
> From: eilert-sprachen at t-online.de
> To: scribus at lists.scribus.net
> Subject: [scribus] Compiling Scribus for Qt5
>
> This is purely "just for fun", so just tell me if I try something
> impossible.
>
> As I was interested in Qt5 libraries for my somewhat older Linux, I
> downloaded the sources and browsed the documentation. The first thing I
> found was how to compile the source statically into $HOME/qt5.
>
> Having done so, I wonder how to compile and link the Scribus 1.5 source
> to this version.
>
> Compiling Qt5,
> - "make" ran through flawlessly
> - I have not yet issued "make install" because it wasn't mentioned - is
> it necessary, anyway?
>
> If I am not completely on the wrong path up to here, what would be the
> necessary options to give for linking the Scribus sources to my personal
> qt5?
>
> Thanks for your advice!
>
> Regards
> Rolf

I think that if the qt5 build works, you can get by without installing it, but the Scribus build scripts need to be able to find the qt5 build area. You will probably need to add the qt5 pkconfig directory to PKG_CONFIG_PATH and the qt5 bin directory to PATH. On a Linux distribution that did not already include qt5, I ended up faking the installation with a few sym links, but it didn't work well: ln -s /home/build/qt5/qtbase/include /usr/include/qt5; ln -s /home/build/qt5/qtbase /usr/lib64/qt5; ln -s /home/build/qt5/qtbase/libexec/ /usr/libexec/qt5; ln -s /home/build/qt5/qtbase/bin /usr/bin/qt5; mkdir /usr/share/qt5; ln -s /home/build/qt5/qtbase/translations /usr/share/qt5/translations; ln -s /home/build/qt5/qttools/src/linguist/phrasebooks  /usr/share/qt5/phrasebooks
William