[scribus] New translation targets, beginning with Scribus 1.5.1

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Sat Jan 23 07:59:22 UTC 2016

Hi Translators,

We plan to release 1.5.1 during the next week or a few days later. Two of the major new features in 1.5.1 are support for the CIE L*a*b* colour model and an import filter for Swatchbooker's SBZ format. I've also added the CIE LAB and CIE HLC palettes that were already included in the 1.4.6 release, only this time as SBZ files with L*a*b* values. I'm planning to convert all colour palettes to SBZ and, if possible, to L*a*b* (at least where it makes sense).

One of the major advantages of SBZ is that you can store additional information like description, as well as copyright and licencing information in those files. Even better: This information can be translated! And as a cherry on top, it's also possible to include a pixel image of a colour reference or a logo inside!

The easiest way to translate SBZs is using Swatchbooker (http://www.selapa.net/swatchbooker/). Unfortunately, the software doesn't run on Windows, despite the availabality of a (non-working) Windows version, and on Mac OS X you have to install it via Homebrew (http://brewformulas.org/Swatchbooker). If you can't use Swatchbooker: SBZ files are nothing more than an XML file in a ZIP archive, so you can edit the content in a text editor, if you wish.

You can make yourself familiar with Swatchbooker using the two SBZ files shipped with Scribus 1.5.1. In 1.5.2 we plan to move most of our colour palettes to a server. You will then be able to download them via the new Resource Manager. I will, however, upload all SBZ versions of the palettes to the bugtracker prior to the 1.5.2 release, so you can use the BT for your translations.

And there's even more to come. It is planned to make the complete Open Colour Systems Collections (OCSC) available from our server. In case you don't know: OCSC (current version 1.0) comprises 367 mostly commercial colour systems in the L*a*b* colour model. Although we'll probably use version 2.0, which is due to be released prior to 1.5.2 and includes even more systems, translators can already have a look at v. 1.0 here: http://dtpstudio.de/downloads/OCSC_1_0.zip. Version 2.0 will also comprise ASE and plain text versions of the palettes, as well as plain text versions of the descriptions. By translating OCSC 2.0 you wouldn't only help Scribus, but also everyone else who wants to integrate them with their software. Translators will be credited in the OCSC README file. The palette files themselves are being published under a CC licence.

Please note that the translation will be easy but extremely boring. A typical description looks like this:

Company: maleco Farbwerk GmbH
Product: maleco Spirit innen
Product type: Interior paint
Colours: 1639

Contact:
maleco Farbwerk GmbH
Hauptniederlassung Hamburg
Schützenstraße 80
22761 Hamburg
http://maleco.de

As you can see: Most of it is copy'n'paste.

Happy testing and translating!

Christoph