[scribus] Embedding fonts in a PDF file

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Tue Feb 16 06:31:05 UTC 2016

> Gesendet: Dienstag, 16. Februar 2016 um 06:15 Uhr
> Von: "Geoffrey Dow" <geoffdow at gmail.com>
> Betreff: Re: [scribus] Embedding fonts in a PDF file
>
> My experience, which goes back to 2012 or so (I forget the version number)
> under Linux and which is now with 1.4.3 (or is that 2? The launch screen
> shows the latter, About the former) is that the default is, indeed, that
> the user has to remember to embed fonts.
>
> And, as a user, I'd like to add my voice to those who think that embedding
> should be the default behaviour. I've done everything from brochures, to 64
> page magazines to a 200+page book (thank you, Scribus and Scribus devs, by
> the way!), and in each use-case, I would have found it more useful to have
> to disable embedding than to enable it.

Hi,

Font embedding is already available as a setting, albeit not in the PDF section of the Preferences/Document Setup, but in Fonts. There you can decide whether a font will be embedded, subset or converted to outlines by default (in 1.4.x only whether it will be embedded or subset).

The caption "Embed in PostScript" in the Fonts section might be irritating to some, but remember that PDF is a child of PostScript, and Scribus can create PostScript files, too (at least on Linux and Mac OS X).

This is also described in more detail in the Online Help, which is being shipped with Scribus in the hope that users actually read it.

It might look unintuitive at first, but it actually makes sense, because it's a real time-saver once you got used to it. The Fonts settings in the Preferences/Document Setup work as a bidirectional font manager. One direction is installed fonts: You can tell Scribus which fonts it should use or ignore. The other direction is the handling of fonts during PostScript/PDF export from Scribus, either generally or for your current project.

HTH,

Christoph