[scribus] some observations on 1.5.x to 1.4.x transfers

John Beardmore John at T4sLtd.co.uk
Fri Feb 5 00:50:43 UTC 2016

On 05/02/2016 00:34, Gregory Pittman wrote:

> First, I will admit that I messed up. I inadvertently marked the App
> directory in ScribusPortable as hidden. The catastrophe that ensued
> related to the fact that, although the system at work allows me to mark
> a directory as hidden, I have no way to unhide the directory after that
> (without getting IS involved).
>
> So yipes! I needed to use Scribus, I needed to use it right away! I
> quickly found out ScribusPortable is more nonfunctional than functional
> if the App directory is hidden. So I made use of ScribusPortableTest
> (1.5.0) that I had available, altered some files, saved them,
> understanding that I couldn't load a 1.5.x file into 1.4.x subsequently.
> No problem, the first option seemed to be to stick with 1.5.x. Why not?
>
> The why not was that, for some reason, any lines on the page would not
> print on the network computer. I had some lines to create writing
> spaces, but also other lines for barcodes. None printed. I could find no
> setting of color or transparency or whatever to explain this. Unacceptable.
>
> So I went to the bother to (re)load up ScribusPortable 1.4.6 onto my
> network space. Ok, the plan was to recreate the document structure, copy
> text from 1.5.0 to the frame in 1.4.6. A major obstacle was that you
> can't run 1.4.6 and 1.5.0 simultaneously (this is Windows 7) - it told
> me I already had Scribus running. Next plan: send the frames to
> Scrapbook, then pull them into 1.4.6. The next obstacle was that I
> couldn't load them directly by adding the Scrapbook directory from
> 1.5.0. Nothing showed up. So I copied the files manually outside of
> Scribus from ScribusPortableTest to ScribusPortable.
>
> Now I had access to these text frames, but found that on pasting them
> into a document, all formatting and linebreaks were lost. More editing.
> The other curious thing, which I only found by trying to print, was that
> each frame was set not to print. Also fixable.
>
> In the end, even though I figured out how to do this, there were a
> number of unexpected stumbling blocks along the way.

Sympathies !

We all have days (or weeks !) like that occasionally.

I spent a chunk of today unsoldering a 12 way connector from a board
because I put it on the wrong way round. Damn waste of time. More haste,
less speed etc...

At least the board withstood my abuse !

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore,MSc EDM (Open),B.A. Chem (Oxon),CMIOSH,CEnv,MIEMA,MEI
Reg. Office: Unit 1A Manners Court, Manners Avenue, Ilkeston. DE7 8EF

---