[scribus] some observations on 1.5.x to 1.4.x transfers

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri Feb 5 00:34:47 UTC 2016

First, I will admit that I messed up. I inadvertently marked the App
directory in ScribusPortable as hidden. The catastrophe that ensued
related to the fact that, although the system at work allows me to mark
a directory as hidden, I have no way to unhide the directory after that
(without getting IS involved).

So yipes! I needed to use Scribus, I needed to use it right away! I
quickly found out ScribusPortable is more nonfunctional than functional
if the App directory is hidden. So I made use of ScribusPortableTest
(1.5.0) that I had available, altered some files, saved them,
understanding that I couldn't load a 1.5.x file into 1.4.x subsequently.
No problem, the first option seemed to be to stick with 1.5.x. Why not?

The why not was that, for some reason, any lines on the page would not
print on the network computer. I had some lines to create writing
spaces, but also other lines for barcodes. None printed. I could find no
setting of color or transparency or whatever to explain this. Unacceptable.

So I went to the bother to (re)load up ScribusPortable 1.4.6 onto my
network space. Ok, the plan was to recreate the document structure, copy
text from 1.5.0 to the frame in 1.4.6. A major obstacle was that you
can't run 1.4.6 and 1.5.0 simultaneously (this is Windows 7) - it told
me I already had Scribus running. Next plan: send the frames to
Scrapbook, then pull them into 1.4.6. The next obstacle was that I
couldn't load them directly by adding the Scrapbook directory from
1.5.0. Nothing showed up. So I copied the files manually outside of
Scribus from ScribusPortableTest to ScribusPortable.

Now I had access to these text frames, but found that on pasting them
into a document, all formatting and linebreaks were lost. More editing.
The other curious thing, which I only found by trying to print, was that
each frame was set not to print. Also fixable.

In the end, even though I figured out how to do this, there were a
number of unexpected stumbling blocks along the way.

Greg