[scribus] Fwd: Re: How to find all objects with overprinting?

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri Dec 9 14:53:07 UTC 2016

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: [scribus] How to find all objects with overprinting?
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 09:52:22 -0500
From: Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com>
To: Václav Šmilauer <eu at doxos.eu>

On 12/09/2016 08:46 AM, Václav Šmilauer wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I just had a problem with printing company because an object had
> overprinting enabled. Is there a way to find all objects with
> overprinting? For now, I go one-by-one. I am also aware of
> https://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=11061 in the tracker, but I am
> asking for a quick help until overprinting check is added as an option
> to pref-gliht verifier.

Here's the brute force way at this:

Open the SLA file in a text editor.
Search for doOverprint="1"   (it also looks like if there is no
overprinting set, there is no doOverprint element).
This will find the offending object(s). Now the tricky part.

In the PAGEOBJECT section where you find doOverprint, look at the
OwnPage variable. This tells the page the object is on, but note that
Page 1 is "0".
You can also look at PTYPE. "4" is a text frame, "2" is an image frame,
"6" is a shape, "13" a polygon. More importantly, if you look at XPOS
and YPOS, these will tell you where it is on the page.

So now you would know which object, what page it's on, and where on the
page it is, and if needed the frame type.

One thing about the SLA files is that the PAGEOBJECTs appear in the
order they were created and are therefore not necessarily grouped
according to what page they are on. So in a 50-page document, an object
might be the last one in the file even though it's on the first page, if
it was the last one created.

The GUI way to do this:

Open the Color tab in Properties so you can see the Overprinting button.
Open Windows > Outline. If you're using docking, you may have to pull
this out so it doesn't cover Properties.
Now, go down the page list from object to object, watching the
Overprinting button as you go, to see which one shows Overprinting
instead of Knockout.
An advantage of this is that as you click the objects in the Outline
dialog, it is marching you down the document, changing pages and
selecting the object when you click it, and you're ready to immediately
change the setting once you find it. You do need to consider that maybe
more than one object has overprinting selected. I don't know I would
trust that when the printer says that there is "an object" with
overprinting set, they know it's only one.

Greg