[scribus] CTL code merge successfully finished. This is huge!

ZASKE Martin zm at revue-gugu.org
Wed Dec 7 21:53:18 UTC 2016

On 07.12.2016 20:42, José Antonio Rocha wrote:

>> so far we had to manually move certain combining diacritical markers to
>> where they belong, namely centred above their respective vowels.
>>

> ​Why do not you use the proper diacritical unicode character, instead of a
> compound one?

Because:

- there is an official orthography for our language and many historical
documents already exist

- so if I (or anybody) will just start changing stuff, then later people
can not search for certain words and find all occurrences (or the
searches will need to get much more complicated)

- our language is using some exotic vowels and not all combinations
exist (as far as I know)(which is one reason why the combining
diacritics were included anyway)(imagine all possible diacritics on all
existing vowels and on many consonants too)

- your usage of the word "proper" might give me emotions (and we had too
many here lately) because it might just be understood that our way of
doing things is improper    ;)

- if you want to help, you could still find me those combinations please
as hardcoded characters:

each of these:

ǝ Ǝ ɛ Ɛ ɩ Ɩ ɔ Ɔ ʊ Ʊ (and these of course a A e E i I o O u U)*

with each of those:

́    ̀      ̂

They might be a quick-and-dirty-shortcut for stuff that we will only and
directly print on paper and then never touch again (those are getting
less and less, as we publish more by PDF and online).

* It is a pain in the neck, but almost a matter of pride, that we are
one of the few languages in the area with ten full vowels.

And thank you for your interest,

Martin

--
ZASKE Martin