[scribus] CTL code merge successfully finished. This is huge!

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Dec 7 21:20:31 UTC 2016

On Wed, 7 Dec 2016 17:42:05 -0200
José Antonio Rocha <joseantoniorocha at gmail.com> dijo:

>> so far we had to manually move certain combining diacritical markers
>> to where they belong, namely centred above their respective vowels.

>​Why do not you use the proper diacritical unicode character, instead
>of a compound one?

In many languages with alphabetic writing systems, and also in certain
technical writing, there is more than one diacritic. I have
occasionally seen as many as three on a glyph. And the glyphs may be
more than just the vowels; sometimes consonants take diacritics as
well. Considering all the possible glyphs and the possible diacritics,
the number of glyph+diacritic(s) combinations you might need could be
massive, at least far more than the font designer included in the font.
Using combining diacritics expands the possibilities.