[scribus] Which Version to Use?

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Dec 1 01:12:03 UTC 2016

On 11/30/2016 07:16 PM, Peter Linnell wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 15:11:12 -0500
> Stephen Tiano <steve at tianobookdesign.com> wrote:
>
>> I’m working on an iMac running the Sierra OS. I currently have
>> Scribus 1.4.6 on the machine, carried over from my previous iMac. But
>> I’d like to run the latest version on a project if at all possible. I
>> see there are development versions 1.5.1 and 1.5.2 available. How
>> safe are these development versions? Is it a bad idea to try to get
>> real work done with a development version?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Steve Tiano

>> Stephen Tiano
>> Book Designer, Page Compositor & Layout Artist
>>
>> tel. & fax: (631)284-3842 / cell: (631)764-2487
>> Skype: stephentianobookdesigner
>> FaceTime: Stephen Tiano
>> email: steve at tianobookdesign.com
>>
>> website: http://www.tianobookdesign.com
>> blog: http://tianobookdesign.com/blog
>> twitter: http://twitter.com/StephenTiano
>>
>> Facebook:
>> Stephen-Tiano-Freelance-Book-Designer-Page-Compositor-Layout-Artist
>> LinkedIn: Stephen Tiano
>> See also:
>> http://wiki.scribus.net
>> http://forums.scribus.net
>
> Hi,
>
> I had a look at your site and blog.  As one of the team members, It is
> interesting to learn a professional book designer is interested in
> Scribus.
>
> That said to answer your question, I would recommend trying 1.5.2 and
> see if it has enough stability for you. Save early and often. Feedback
> welcome.  The real question comes down to features you really need in
> the newer version.
>

> Version 1.5.3, on the way has quite some invasive changes, as we are adding in code for complex
> scripts such as Arabic and RTL languages which do not work properly in
> Scribus.  This is a much desired feature which we have had a hard group
> of developers working on this quite a while.

Something we always like to make sure that users understand is that the
file format changes from one major series to the next. For example,
while you would be able to open a file saved with 1.4.6 into 1.5.2, once
you save it with 1.5.2, version 1.4.6 won't be able to open it.

As Peter says, the upcoming 1.5.3 has had some major reworking of the
text layout for CTL, maybe a reason to hold off on that version
specifically while you watch the mail list for issues people might see.

Greg

Greg