[scribus] Which Version to Use?

Peter Linnell plinnell at scribus.net
Thu Dec 1 00:16:48 UTC 2016

On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 15:11:12 -0500
Stephen Tiano <steve at tianobookdesign.com> wrote:

> I’m working on an iMac running the Sierra OS. I currently have
> Scribus 1.4.6 on the machine, carried over from my previous iMac. But
> I’d like to run the latest version on a project if at all possible. I
> see there are development versions 1.5.1 and 1.5.2 available. How
> safe are these development versions? Is it a bad idea to try to get
> real work done with a development version?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Steve Tiano

> Stephen Tiano
> Book Designer, Page Compositor & Layout Artist
>
> tel. & fax: (631)284-3842 / cell: (631)764-2487
> Skype: stephentianobookdesigner
> FaceTime: Stephen Tiano
> email: steve at tianobookdesign.com
>
> website: http://www.tianobookdesign.com
> blog: http://tianobookdesign.com/blog
> twitter: http://twitter.com/StephenTiano
>
> Facebook:
> Stephen-Tiano-Freelance-Book-Designer-Page-Compositor-Layout-Artist
> LinkedIn: Stephen Tiano
> See also:
> http://wiki.scribus.net
> http://forums.scribus.net

Hi,

I had a look at your site and blog.  As one of the team members, It is
interesting to learn a professional book designer is interested in
Scribus.

That said to answer your question, I would recommend trying 1.5.2 and
see if it has enough stability for you. Save early and often. Feedback
welcome.  The real question comes down to features you really need in
the newer version.

Version 1.5.3, on the way has quite some invasive changes, as we are adding in code for complex
scripts such as Arabic and RTL languages which do not work properly in
Scribus.  This is a much desired feature which we have had a hard group
of developers working on this quite a while.

Hope that helps,

Peter