[scribus] I want to see only my own templates

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Wed Aug 31 14:17:23 UTC 2016

hi andrzej

On 31/08/16 12:25, Andrzej Pruszyński wrote:

>>> Look in the folder of your executable scribus file (that depends on your OS)
>>> You'll find a "templates" folder.
>>> I suppose you can delete all unwanted subfolders.
>>
>> Or better keep all subfolders
>> and just edit the template.xml (or template.fr.xml... file depending on your langage)
>> and delete all unwanted template declaration.
>>
>> JL
>
> I use Linux OS. After first run Scribus creates in hiden dir .scribus in my home directory
> 1. file: checkfonts.xml
> 2. dirs: plugins, scrapbook, swatches
> Then I do nothing and close it. And Scribus adds:
> 3. prefs150.xml, scribus150.rc, scribusshapes.xml
>
> The are no template...xml
> If "New from template -> Bussiness Cards -> Business Card Collection" then template is downloaded.
> If I close doing nothing Scribus writes:
> 4. file:charpalette.ucp
>
> Scibus creates template.xml in my template directory if I save a document as template.
> It seems my probelm is in the code.

it's not a good idea to mess with the files installed by the package
manager (or by an installer).

so: if scribus provides default templates and it has no way to remove
them, leave them where they are, and ignore them.

(except if you are repackaging the binaries for other people... of course)

that being said, i guess that it would be much better if

- scribus would not ship any default template (a quick web search seems
to tell that indesign stopped many years ago to ship default templates),

- create a repository of sample documents on scribus.net (or elsewhere;
one can then use the files as templates),

- and let people add their own templates if they want to do so (most
people have (or should have) little use for templates, but in some
workflows they can be very useful).

but scribus is going the other way and will probably provide a template
downloader on top of the default ones.
amen.

ciao
a.l.e