[scribus] total ink density problem

Kaspar Rammo kaspar at rammo.net
Wed Sep 23 05:04:23 UTC 2015

22.09.2015 23:39 John Culleton kirjutas:
> On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 21:27:16 +0300
> Kaspar Rammo <kaspar atrammo.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a problem with "total ink density"
>> parameter Scribus 1.4.5 generated PDF file.
>>
>> Case A:
>> I use Scribus for making a cover for a book.
>> Design is tiff file made with Gimp. I converted
>> RGB file to CMYK file. The result of the
>> command "identify -verbose filename-CMYK.tiff"
>> is: "Total ink density: 270%" and "Profiles:
>> Profile-icc: 1829087 bytes SC paper (ECI)".
>> That is ok. If I add this file to Scribus and
>> export to PDF/X-1a file, the result of
>> "identify -verbose cover.pdf" is: "Total ink
>> density: 400%" and "Profiles:" rows is not
>> existing.
>>
>> Case B:
>> I use Scribus for making the content of the
>> book in grayscale. If I export this to PDF1.3
>> file the result of "identify -verbose
>> cover.pdf" is: "Total ink density: 400%"  but
>> should be "Total ink density: 270%".
>>
>> Can anybody help me and tell me what the
>> problem is?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Kaspar
> p://forums.scribus.net
>>
> On my website I have posted a file:
>
> http://www.wexfordpress.com/SWOPcoated5_240.icc
>
> ---that is a slightly modified version of the
> more usual icc file of a similar name but which
> limits ink density to 240%. A kind soul on the icc
> mailing list built it for me. This should keep
> ink density within proper limits.
>
> If you have any problem with it please let me
> know.

Unfortunately, it did not help me. The result is still: "Total ink
density: 400%". The problem seems to be Scribus, not ICC profile. When I
use ImageMagick (convert cover-RGB.tiff +profile icm -profile
/usr/share/color/icc/AdobeRGB1998.icc -profile
/usr/share/color/icc/SC_paper_eci.icc cover-CMYK.pdf) to make a PDF
file, I get the result: "Total ink density: 227%".

Best regards,

Kaspar