[scribus] Database

Rolf-Werner Eilert eilert-sprachen at t-online.de
Mon Sep 21 11:00:31 UTC 2015

Am 21.09.2015 11:00, schrieb Peter Nermander:
>> When I have to move a Scribus file to another folder all picture links get
>> lost. Is there a possibility to reconnect all pictures of a folder in one
>> move or do I have to re-link all pictures one after another?
>>
> A similar question was asked the other day on the Scribus forums.
>
> http://forums.scribus.net/index.php/topic,1829.0.html
>
> /Peter

The archive function makes just one big directory with all objects in
one place. It doesn't care about original sub-directories recursively,
and it doesn't care about other objects not (yet) used in the original
place. Only those pictures actually used in the document are copied, and
I have to create a directory beforehand for the data to be stored in to
avoid messing up the current folder.

IMHO, a much wiser attempt would be to create a tar archive conserving
the directory structure UNDER the original .sla, merely copying
everything from OTHER places (perhaps into a special sub-directory named
accordingly), and asking the user if all original contents shall be
copied from the sub-directories or only the objects actually used.

Some of the users make a picture archive holding all pictures for all
projects in one place. For my own part, I prefer making a sub-directory
with the pictures for each project, but that makes sense only for those
projects with merely a few pictures. Otherwise, you copy the same
pictures again and again, and it eats unnecessary space. On the other
hand, I have found that for such projects, the pictures sometimes change
a bit (or: are worked over from time to time), so it's good to have a
new copy for each new document.

After all, everything depends on the workflow.

Regards
Rolf