[scribus] OpenType alternate glyph support

JLuc jluc at no-log.org
Tue Sep 1 18:11:54 UTC 2015

Le 29/08/2015 22:45, Alex Zepeda a écrit :
> Regarding issue #1413
> <http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=1413>

I added some links that illustrate state of work around opentypes
in FOSS world :

- http://ilovetypography.com/2014/10/25/why-a-better-opentype-user-interface-matters/ [^] why a better opentype UI matters
- http://blog.mmiworks.net/2015/06/designing-opentype-intro.html [^] UI expert POV
- https://github.com/opensource-opentype/features [^] features

AFAI understand it, much is to be done
and harfbuzz will be the entry workplace.

 > It looks like there was talk of a 1,000 GBP bounty, but it doesn't seem as if anything actually materialized.  I'd love
 > to throw some cash at this feature, but before going down that road I was wondering:
 > - Are there any Scribus developers who would be interested in working on this feature?  If so, have they set a price
 > they'd like to see?

This dev is priceless.
Scribus devs are all quite busy
and it seems no available money can buy their time.

2 months ago, avox launched a scribusCTL branch (for Complex Text Layout)
but that has not been active recently.
IMO this is meant to integrate harfbuzz and would enable scribus
to use future harfbuzz opentype features.

 > - What's the status of the existing private branch that was discussed ~5 years ago?
The OIF branch disappeared.

Branches come, go and vanish.
Some get some features merged.
Let's hope the ScribusCTL branch grows
and produces nice flowers of merged features.

You might find some other answers to your other questions
in the links i provided atop of this mail.

JL