[scribus] Pdf file size

Anders anders at texnat.se
Fri Oct 30 18:06:29 UTC 2015

Den 2015-10-30 kl. 18:27, skrev John Beardmore:
> I've produced an environmental report in Scribus 1.5 under windows.
>
> With best resolution pictures the .pdf file is 136 megabytes, and with
> low resolution it's still 11 megabytes.
>
> My clients are having problems uploading these files when making
> funding applications because of their size.
>
> Two questions then...
>
>   What type and settings for PDF output is most likely to produce
>   compact output ?
>
> And
>
>   I seem to recall somebody saying that you could run Scribus
>   .pdf files through some tool or other, which made them a lot
>   smaller without noticeable loss of quality. Can anybody
>   remember which tool this is ?  I have access to Linux boxes
>   too if needs be.
>

> Many thanks, J/.
Hi,
I use scribus under Linux (just now Ubuntu 14.04) and use ghostscript  to
reduce the size of pdf-files. I have never tried this in windows but the
following does the trick in linux

If you want to make the file myfile.pdf smaller and with the name
newfile.pdf try the following command
(if your pdf is for printing)

gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dPDFSETTINGS=/prepress
-dNOPAUSE -dQUIET -dBATCH -sOutputFile=newfile.pdf myfile.pdf

If the file is for screen viewing use

gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dPDFSETTINGS=/screen
-dNOPAUSE -dQUIET -dBATCH -sOutputFile=newfile.pdf myfile.pdf

I do this regularly with files to be sent to print and there has never
been any problem

--
/Anders K
TeXNaT                                            Web: www.texnat.se
Anders Källström                             Email: anders at texnat.se
Arkitektvägen 6                              Tel: +46-(0)18-36 40 29
740 20 Vänge                                     Mobil: 070-225 2286