[scribus] Grayscale palette

John Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Wed Nov 25 16:12:49 UTC 2015

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 14:42:09 +0100
Peter Nermander <peter at nermander.se> wrote:

> <John at wexfordpress.com>:
>
> > There must be a hundred palettes distributed
> > with Scribus. My customer's printer of the
> > moment doesn't want any spot colors or ICC
> > profiles so I have turned off color
> > management. Is there a palette that just
> > gives shades of gray or should I just use a
> > percentage of black? The printer doesn't like
> > transparencies either. The printer has
> > already bounced the interior pdf once for the
> > presence of an ICC  profile.  Can I use a
> > CMYK color like C0 M0 Y0 K30 without
> > inserting an ICC? profile?
> >

> As others have indicated, this sounds like a
> printer who either does not know what he's
> doing or is not able to explain what he wants.
>
> Maybe what you are looking for is to create
> just a grayscale PDF? It's in the PDF Export
> options, Printer, Screen/web or Grayscale I
> think are the options.
>
> /Peter

The printer is IngramSpark. They are a branch of
LSI. LSI is a very large POD printer that I
have used for a long time. I used
IngramSpark because my customer wants to control
things after I am gone and LSI is not taking on
any new one-book publishers.

IngramSpark says no ICC profiles but they recommend PDF X/1-a:2001.
With Scribus 1.5.1 at least I can specify that
combination.

IngramSpark, like its rival Createspace, has
"Nanny programs" that look for things like text
or decoration less than 0.5 inch from the edge or
margins that vary from one page to another.
Hopefully the LSI branch is more tolerant.

I will try one of the palettes suggested.
Thanks to all who answered.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press