[scribus] Fit photograph to frame

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Tue Nov 24 12:30:44 UTC 2015

On 11/24/2015 04:52 AM, Christian Mandel wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> Am 23.11.2015 um 18:44 schrieb Gregory Pittman:
>> On 11/23/2015 10:29 AM, Christian Mandel wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I try to make a photo book with Scribus (v1.5.0) and I fail with the
>>> simplest tasks. I hope someone can show me how to solve these problems.
>>> My current problem is to fit pictures into picture frames. I create a
>>> frame of the size that I want and load a picture into this frame.
>>> Usually, the aspect ratio of frame and picture are different. Therefore,
>>> I want to fit it to the frame so that the frame is entirely filled but
>>> the picture is not distorted and then align the picture inside the
>>> frame.
>>>
>>> Scribus natively has (if I'm right) only the option to fill the frame so
>>> that the whole picture is visible and part of the frame stays empty.
>>> There are two scripts that try to solve the problem: Image Wizard and
>>> Image Wizard Advanced. I select the frame and run the scripts. With
>>> Image Wizard I press "scale to fill" but what I get is an about 3 times
>>> larger picture than needed (about 600 %, about 200 % would suffice).
>>> Image Wizard Advanced, on the other hand, does not respect the original
>>> image's aspect ratio with the fill command.
>>>
>>> What is the correct way of fitting images into empty frames when the
>>> frame size is fix? Is manually copying the higher percentage after
>>> scaling without preserved aspect ratio the only option?
>>>
>>> Thanks and best regards
>>>

>> Here are a couple of directions to look:
>>
>> http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Infobox_in_column
>>
>> http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Automatic_import_of_images:_Versions_not_requiring_Tkinter
>>

>> Infobox works with a set width, the column width it is told to fit a
>> frame in. The newer versions of Infobox allow for the insertion of an
>> image frame. The trick is to use information from the size of the image
>> to create a frame of the correct relative dimensions, load the image,
>> and setScaleImagetoFrame.
>
> thanks for your answer. I tested the infobox script. Unfortunately, I do
> not get it to work as intended. What I have is already an empty or
> pre-filled image frame of the correct size, but the script fails with
> the message that the selected frame is not a text frame. Nevertheless,
> as I understand, the script only adds a frame, not the image itself. I
> already have an image frame but need to fit the image inside of this
> frame to the size of the frame without changing aspect ratio.
>
>> The other script uses a set size of frame, although scaled to the known
>> dimensions of the images that are loaded.
>
> I do not want to scale the frame but the image.
>
>> When you do this manually, you might load an image, then right-click to
>> Adjust Image to Frame, then Adjust Frame to Image. If your frame must be
>> a certain width, make it too long so that it fills the width. Likewise,
>> if you need a certain height, make it too wide at first.

> [...]

It's a little confusing as to what you want to do, but perhaps you just
need to understand the settings.

It sounds like what you want is to Scale Image to Frame, but not
proportionally, in other words, fit the image to the frame even if it
must be stretched in one direction or the other.

To do this, in the Image tab, select To Frame Size under Scaling, but
make sure Proportional is unchecked.

You can also set this in Preferences as your default for loading an
image. In Tools (Item tools in 1.5.x), in the Image sub-tab, choose
Scale Image to Frame Size, and UNCHECK Keep aspect ratio -- in other
words, you don't want to keep the aspect ratio of the image, you want to
keep the aspect ratio of the frame.

This should also be scriptable.

Greg