[scribus] Pdf file size

William Bader williambader at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 2 18:18:23 UTC 2015

> To: scribus at lists.scribus.net
> From: John at T4sLtd.co.uk
> Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 11:19:14 +0000
> Subject: Re: [scribus] Pdf file size
>
> On 01/11/2015 13:20, Ian Whitfield wrote:
>
> > I use the following line commend to reduce my PDFs to a reasonable size
> > using ps2pdf ...
> >
> > ps2pdf13 File name.pdf New File name.pdf
> >
> > This gives me about a 33% improvement, ie from 15Mb to 5Mb.
> >
> > Hope this helps - PS I run Linux here.
>
> Brilliant !  Thanks all.
>
> The above reduced it from 11,945,106 to 1,172,770 bytes !
>
> It does seem to have changed page 42 from portrait to landscape for some
> reason (!), but at least it should be small enough to upload.
>
> Cheers, J

ps2pdf13 is a script that runs ghostscript.  It might be better to add a -dPDFSETTINGS= option to optimize for screen, ebook, printer or prepress output.
If you do not specify the PDFSETTINGS, the default sets AutoRotatePages to /PageByPage, which might explain why it rotated some pages.
The table of PDFSETTINGS options is at http://ghostscript.com/doc/current/Ps2pdf.htm or you can use scripts at http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Reduce_the_size_of_Scribus_generated_PDFs and http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Web_optimised_PDF
Regards, William Bader, Director of R&D, SCS