[scribus] Tacky guides

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri May 29 12:20:38 UTC 2015

On 05/29/2015 03:51 AM, ale rimoldi wrote:
> hi péter,

>>> have you active snap to object option ?
>>> Its in Page menu.
>>> It should be easyer with it
>> Hi JLuc
>>
>> "have you active snap to object option ?"
>> Yes, I use this!It works well! Great feature!!!
>> Sometimes you need something else!
>> If many objects in page == "snap to object option" difficult to use.
>>
>> Guides snapping to objects: not work (there is no such function)! :-(
>>
>> Please, watch the video! (only just 1min.)
>> 0 - 0:37: Guide snapping in Inkscape
>> 0:38 - 1:28: Guide not snapping in Scribus
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/b8far81to1wcspe/example_2.avi?dl=0
>
> without denying the merit to your request, in the example you're
> showing, you should probably use snap to item...
>
> as a workaround you could also use the "extend" mode in the align and
> distribute tool: that way you can make two items align by resizing one
> of them.
>
> i did not have a look at the code, but i think that it should be rather
> straightforward to get the guides to snap to items when the "snap to
> item" mode is active.
> a good introductory task, for somebody wanting to learn how to program
> for scribus!

A very simple script could create guides aligning with the four sides of
an object. This might have some utility if it were used frequently.

The other thing to mention is the ability to fill a space between
existing guides with a new object by holding down Shift and then
left-clicking inside the space.

Greg