[scribus] applying mask to all pages: best solution.

John Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Tue Mar 10 13:47:34 UTC 2015

My best solution did not involve Scribus except
for the frontmatter (already done) and chapter
heads. But thanks to all who offered suggestions.
Here is what I did for the bulk of the book:

1. Combined separate chapter pdf files using
pdftk.

2.Converted text from blue to black using
master-pdf-editor (took the best part of a day to
do 168 pages.)

3. Converted remaining graphics to grayscale
using a free online service.

4. Removed tick marks using  pdfcrop and
negative values from TeXlive suite.

5. Increased the size of remainder to needed
standard page size using pdfcrop and positive
values (still in process).

6. Will join the various pdf results with pdftk.

I tested several cropping tools, but
they all had dependencies. I didn't have time to
fiddle. The Texlive distro has many pdf tools
included. And in my experience to date they all
work without further dependencies. Some of the
Ghostscript scripts on the internet just didn't
work for me for some reason. Again time is of the
essence.

This has been an interesting learning experience.
Thanks to all who offered suggestions
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press