[scribus] applying mask to all pages.

John Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Sun Mar 8 13:32:54 UTC 2015

On Sun, 08 Mar 2015 08:58:37 -0400
Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:

> On 03/08/2015 04:45 AM, Craig Bradney wrote:
> >
> >> On 8 Mar 2015, at 9:44 am, JLuc
> >> <jluc at no-log.org> wrote:

> >> There are various proposed "crop" settings
> >> when importing a pdf : crop to mark is one
> >> of them but each does a different cropping
> >> choice. There's probably one setting that
> >> fits your needs.
> >
> > I was saying on export to pdf though.
> >

> Playing around with this at work using Word
> 2010, I can't seem to reproduce the problem.
> There are a bewildering number of settings for
> saving files, which you bring up with Tools >
> Save Options from the Save As dialog. I tried
> setting it to show crop marks and text
> boundaries, but it seemed they only showed in
> Word, not in Adobe Reader, and not when I tried
> importing the PDF as a vector file to 1.5.0.
>
> Maybe a Word version issue? One thing might be
> to use Libre Office as an intermediary.
>
> Greg
>

> ___
> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
> See also:
> http://wiki.scribus.net
> http://forums.scribus.net

> Unlimited Disk, Data Transfer, PHP/MySQL Domain
> Hosting http://www.doteasy.com

Remember I am getting all the source from my
technically innocent customer. The original pdf
file he gave me had 208 pages. I found that the
page number on page 14 had overflowed creating
an otherwise blank page. So I deleted that page
and now I am down to 207 pages. As you know one
of the reasons we don't typeset books in word
processors is that page breaks vary all over the
place. When I fired up his doc file in Libre
writer the page count grew to 335 or so. If my customer
is innocent in areas of real setup programs I am
equally ignorant in matters involving word
processors. I last used one back when OS 2 was
first introduced. I don't plan on educating
myself just for this one job. I tried fighting my
way through the instructions for Libre Office
Writer but  someone had gotten enamoured with a
fancy tree structure when a plain document would
have done just fine.

Bottom line I am working from the pdfs the
customer furnishes me. The original one was
produced  at true page size but more recent ones
have those tick etc. marks in a border outside
the true page size. No doubt my customer was
trying to be helpful. I don't want to burst his
bubble. He thinks I walk on water. In the land of
the blind the one-eyed man is king. Just call me
Cyclops.

If you have read this far without deleting this
missive my thanks for your patience.

BTW the reason I am running his pdfs through
Scribus 1.5.0 is that the pdfs have the type set
in blue text. When you submit to print on demand
printers color pages shoot the cost per copy way
up. He doesn't care about the blue so I am
copying the pdf p[age by page and saving with
grayscale enabled. The book was previously
published by an offset house

Back to the salt mines.
--
John Culleton