[scribus] text flow around another text frame. (Scribus 1.4.6)

John Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Sat Jun 27 16:21:36 UTC 2015

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 19:50:31 -0400
Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:

> On 06/25/2015 07:37 PM, John Culleton wrote:
> > This has been discussed before I am sure, but
> > I can't find the magic formula. I want text
> > to flow around another text frame. I got that
> > to work. But T want a little offset so that
> > when the text flows it doesn't run up right
> > next to the other frame. Step by step what do
> > I need to do?
> >
> There are two approaches, and you may want to
> use a bit of both.
>
> The first, as mentioned is to simply set the
> "Distances" for the frame that inside or being
> flowed around. This can be problematic if the
> frame is small, and be quite ugly.
>
> The other is to decide what you flow around.
> The default of course is the frame, but you can
> choose to flow around the contour line, which
> is under Shape > Text Flows Around Frame > Use
> Contour Line.
>
> Then, edit the frame (again under Shape), and
> check Edit Contour Line. Note that amongst the
> buttons are a couple which expand the Contour
> Line by a certain percentage all around or a
> certain number of points all around.
>
> Greg

I left out some important details. In this
project in order to match previous work the
inserted text frame has a light gray background
and rounded corners. Also my shaky old hands
won't allow me to manipulate a contour line with
any success.

So I took a different path entirely. For each
such frame I drew a slightly larger text frame
over the top of the existing one. I set it to
have text flow around it. Then I went to the Item
menu. selected "level", and lowered the blank
frame in relation with the real text frame.

It works and it is not too difficult.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press