[scribus] Scribus feature request--produce compressed PDF output

John Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Sat Jun 6 15:09:09 UTC 2015

On Thu, 4 Jun 2015 07:29:15 +0200
Peter Nermander <peter at nermander.se> wrote:

> I am teaching Scribus to several people, most
> of whom use Microsoft
> > Windows. In my own experience over the years,
> > I have found that the PDF files created by
> > Scribus are very large. I
> >

> There are valid reason for the size.

I have a book project where only the chapter
heads and a few graphics are from Scribus.
There are entire pages represented as graphic pdfs
that are the real culprit. Still the problem of
an oversized final pdf file exists.

My internet provider (Comcast.net) has a limit
for the size of an attachment to an email. My
final file is too large, just as if I used Scribus
for everything so my solution may be of interest.

I use a script tailored to my project that breaks
the final pdf into segments:
pdftk B=book.pdf cat B1-100 output booka.pdf
pdftk B=book.pdf cat B101-140 output bookb.pdf
pdftk B=book.pdf cat B141-end output bookc.pdf
I send the three chunks to my customer attached to
three different emails. when I get to the "final
final" I may have to send him a thumb drive or a
cdrom by snail mail.

I use Linux, but pdftk is available to
Windows users.
--