[scribus] Scribus feature request--produce compressed PDF output

Rolf-Werner Eilert eilert-sprachen at t-online.de
Thu Jun 4 08:55:33 UTC 2015

Am 04.06.2015 07:29, schrieb Peter Nermander:
> I am teaching Scribus to several people, most of whom use Microsoft
>> Windows. In my own experience over the years, I have found that the PDF
>> files created by Scribus are very large. I
>>
> There are valid reason for the size.

While this is certainly all very true, there remain yet a lot of cases
where the user does not publish for a professional offset printer but
for use in the net etc. or at least does so in parallel.

For those cases it would be extremely useful if Scribus would offer such
a solution out of itself. An appropriate location might be the "Output
for" option list in the PDF making dialogue. When I choose "for
monitor/Internet", I would actually expect Scribus to do just this: Not
setting each glyph separately but linewise, not including whole font
sets but excerpts or just the glyphs used, automagically reducing image
resolutions etc. so that it produces a small RGB pdf file which can be
published over the net - e. g. some handbook or whatever. Then I can
choose "For printer", and I get CMYK and each glyph separately etc. for
my offset printing service. Of course one might think about something in
between the two with higher resolution images for the colour home
printer machine.

The "only" thing that pops up in my mind for realizing this would be
that there should be some interface from the canvas to the outside that
allows for tapping the linewise text instead of glyph-wise one. But the
coders should know better here. IMHO there is a connection already: it
goes into the editor, doesn't it?

Regards

Rolf