[scribus] Was: The program gimp is missing! Now: Image file not being opened for editing

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 17:13:15 UTC 2015

> On 1 Jun 2015, at 17:43, JLuc <jluc at no-log.org> wrote:
>
> Le 01/06/2015 18:31, Michael Hendry a écrit :
>> I could import a PDF version of this file
>
> Beware that when importing a PDF
> - text is vectorized : you cant edit it anymore as text, but as vector shapes
> - all items are grouped and groups are grouped. As a consequence, when clicking
> on an objet, you generally get a group that ought to be ungrouped so as to edit
> one of its components
>
>> But what if I wanted to edit an image which was part of the original template
> > of the bulletin, and which I can’t access?
>
> There are 2 ways scribus uses images :
>
> - either linked : the image file is outside the SLA file. If you move the SLA or the image file,
> the link might become not valid anymore.
>
> - or inline : image bytes are stored INSIDE the SLA file.
> I seem to remember that's what happen when you import a PDF.
> It could be the reason why gimp cant edit it.
> By chance, you can convert the inline data into a linked file using
> some option in the right click menu on the image.
> Do it, save the file and then tell us whether gimp opens the image.
>
> Good luck with scribus.
> It's a nice tool.

Thanks, Jean-Luc (if I guessed your name correctly!).

I’ve tried converting to online, Saving As…draft01, Closing and Opening draft01 and trying again.

At first I got a message saying GIMP was already running, so I shut it down and tried again - same result: GIMP opened but with no image file.

This is not necessarily a problem that I need an answer for, but a feature which Scribus appears to be offering but doesn’t fulfil. Please don’t spend a lot of time thinking about it!

I’m hopeful that Craig (who answered an earlier query) might be able to compile a version for Mac which will allow me to import the original PUB file, rather than a PDF derivative, and that I’ll then be able to edit images within this file.

Michael

> JL
>

>>> on my curent poject my worflow is:
>>> pdffile-->pdftkburst-->