[scribus] Python scripts

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Jul 22 11:38:30 UTC 2015

On 07/22/2015 07:08 AM, ZASKE Martin wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> soon, during my upcoming holiday, I want to spend some time learning
> more about Python, not least for getting even more out of Scribus.
>
> Sorry if this is a newbie question, I looked over the wiki and could not
> find it.
>
> Python is being offered in two versions: 2.x and 3.x
>
> What about scripts for Scribus? Do I need to learn or apply version 2.x
> scripts or version 3.x?
>
> Being entirely new and having some other tools which can benefit from
> scripts, I would prefer learning Python 3. Ideas?
>
> thanks,
>
> Martin
>
> PS: The "Scribus Generator" is a great tool for mail merge (rather
> awesome as a sample script to learn from, but very useful in our office)

I would say that you may as well focus on 3.x. As far as scripts go, you
should not see any version problems with older scripts. There isn't so
much in the way of python commands to learn, and you can scan various
existing scripts to learn the basic syntax to combine with Scribus commands.

Since Python is heavily reliant on indentation to organize groups of
commands, be aware that this can trip you up at times, especially from
scripts copied from the wiki.

Greg