[scribus] Scribus 1.5 mouse-delay

John Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Sat Jul 18 21:05:19 UTC 2015

On Sat, 18 Jul 2015 13:34:20 -0500
Kunda Loves Scribus <scribus.user at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > this

> > > Hi JFL
> > >
> > > Thanks for confirming. I'll submit the
> > > issue as a bug (even though this might be a
> > > more extensive issue).
> > >
> > > Lasse
> >
> > Is there a way to suppress screen updates
> > while there are pending events in the input
> > queue?
> >
> > William
>

> I'm not sure. I'm just editing the bloat out of
> the thread so it reads easier.
> /Kunda
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

My guess is that the problem is a function of
the size of the overall scribus document. My cure
is to deal with each page as a separate file,
using templates to handle the headers and general
layout, and combining the resulting pdf files
using the gs script previously provided by
William Bader. Now there are lots of pdf files
floating around in my current work directory
including of course the result of the previous
run of the Bader command so I modified the
Bader command to deal only with files
meeting this criterion: "p*pdf".

My file set is derived from a burst of a
previous pdf of the book using pdftk so that
the page files are of the form of p_0001.pdf
through p_0191.pdf. This scheme ensures that the
individual page files are combined in the
correct order.

Drawbacks? When I want to to update the
book interior I have to run this script:
gs -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sDEVICE=pdfwrite
-dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -sOutputFile=new.pdf
-c .setpdfwrite -f p*.pdf
This is all one line.

On my computer and with my set of 193 pages this
run takes almost a minute (53 seconds to be more
precise.) And I have to keep track of page
numbering manually. But I have arranged things so
that file pg_0023.pdf is page number 23. I don't
have to combine the pages that often.

Bottom line: when I am working on individual
pages I experience no significant delays.

 John
Culleton Wexford Press
Book layout, typesetting and Indexing
Free list of books for self-publishers: