[scribus] scribus Digest, Vol 88, Issue 6

Kunda Loves Scribus scribus.user at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 01:14:44 UTC 2015

> > Are there Welsh hyphenation rules? I often wonder how you would
> > hyphenate Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch to
> > fit into a two inch column
>
> TeX has hyphenation patterns for various languages at
> http://tug.org/tex-hyphen/#languages
> Some other application like Firefox use hyphenation algorithms based on
> TeX.
> https://github.com/mozilla/gecko-dev/blob/master/intl/hyphenation/README.hyphen
> The Scribus 1.5 source has a file scribus/third_party/hyphen/README with
> the comment below. Scribus might be able to import the Welsh hyphenation
> rules from TeX.
>    * Warning! Correct working of Libhnj *needs* prepared hyphenation
> patterns. *
>    For example, generating hyph_en_US.dic from "hyphen.us" TeX patterns:
> perl substrings.pl hyphen.us hyph_en_US.dic ISO8859-1
> Scribus might also be able to use hunspell files at
> http://troi.org/en/hunspell-cy.html or
> http://www.cm.ph.bham.ac.uk/software/zenwalk/old/cat/main/packages/hunspell-cy_GB.html
> Regards,William

First I need to say:
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!
That's captivating. I just looked it up on wikipedia. Interesting.
Link for the interested:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llanfairpwllgwyngyll#Name

2nd, William. Thanks for doing the research on that. Do you mind adding
this to bugs.scribus.net as a feature request? So when the time comes
around for the hyphenation feature in scribus to get updated we'll have
this available.

Cheers!
/Kunda