[scribus] scribus Digest, Vol 88, Issue 6

William Bader williambader at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 6 18:54:14 UTC 2015

> Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 16:42:11 +1000
> From: Owen <rcook at pcug.org.au>
> To: scribus at lists.scribus.net
> Subject: Re: [scribus] Re, Forced hyphenation?
>
> On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 13:17:11 +0100 (BST)
> "wena-parry at talktalk.net" <wena-parry at talktalk.net> wrote:
>
> > Forced hyphenation? Are we discussing the EM?s and EN?s the
> > long and the short of them?  The ?  or the ?? .?
> > for them I have found a work around.
>
> Hyphenation is a language thing. Thus there are english hyphen rules
> etc.
>
> Hypen dictionaries can be installed for many languages, see your
> package manager.
>
> Are there Welsh hyphenation rules? I often wonder how you would
> hyphenate Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch to
> fit into a two inch column

TeX has hyphenation patterns for various languages at http://tug.org/tex-hyphen/#languages
Some other application like Firefox use hyphenation algorithms based on TeX. https://github.com/mozilla/gecko-dev/blob/master/intl/hyphenation/README.hyphen
The Scribus 1.5 source has a file scribus/third_party/hyphen/README with the comment below. Scribus might be able to import the Welsh hyphenation rules from TeX.
   * Warning! Correct working of Libhnj *needs* prepared hyphenation patterns. *
   For example, generating hyph_en_US.dic from "hyphen.us" TeX patterns: perl substrings.pl hyphen.us hyph_en_US.dic ISO8859-1
Scribus might also be able to use hunspell files at http://troi.org/en/hunspell-cy.html or http://www.cm.ph.bham.ac.uk/software/zenwalk/old/cat/main/packages/hunspell-cy_GB.html
Regards,William