[scribus] Scanning photos for a book project

William Bader williambader at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 28 18:02:08 UTC 2015

> Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 08:47:52 +0100
> From: eilert-sprachen at t-online.de
> To: scribus at lists.scribus.net
> Subject: Re: [scribus] Scanning photos for a book project
> Lightzone seems to be pretty much like Darktable, which I use. Good idea
> to try such a tool. You mean, adjusting the black and white levels AFTER
> scanning with standard settings is ok?
>
> Rolf

I have scanned old family photos for web quality not for print quality.
I use xsane and scan 1200dpi for small, sharp b&w photos, 600dpi for other b&w photos and for sharp color photos 4x6 or less, and 300dpi otherwise. In xsane, I select the area of the photo and adjust the color levels (usually the auto adjustment is good enough). I try to crop the outer border completely to avoid distorting the color levels.
Then I make a copy and retouch the copy in gimp.
I try to get good black and white levels on the scan to capture as much information as possible, and then I adjust the middle levels in gimp.
William