[scribus] Scanning photos for a book project

Rolf-Werner Eilert eilert-sprachen at t-online.de
Wed Jan 28 10:00:51 UTC 2015

Am 28.01.2015 10:34, schrieb Sveinn í Felli:
> Þann mið 28.jan 2015 07:47, skrifaði Rolf-Werner Eilert:

> Paper texture can be a pain to eliminate, people have written all kinds
> of filters (similar to moire-filters in Gimp), maybe you can go that route.
> But I just wanted to mention a couple of different approaches (a bit
> analog ones):
>
> 30+ years ago I recall using transparent sheets between photos and
> scanner glass to get rid of patterns (80's color paper prints - awful).
> Those transparencies were developed for photocopying purposes (several
> rastering grids, but also for texture "softening"). Haven't seen those
> in ages, and probably they're not adequate for high precision scanning.
>
> Instead of using a flatbed scanner to scan old prints, a friend of mine
> mounted a DSLR camera on a darkroom enlarger, using various lights from
> various angles, a nice flat-projection 50mm lens and had several
> different types of glass plates to weight down the prints; stunning
> results.
> Actually he used a similar setup for a bunch of old slides too...
>
> Just some thoughts,
>
> Sveinn í Felli

Filters are another good idea, maybe I find some, will check for in
Darktable.

The sheets I don't know, and I don't know where to get them.

But the idea with the DSLR is good, I have several enlargers, that might
be another starting point. With several soft lamps around the photo, one
might be able to eliminate the paper texture.

On the other hand, I wouldn't completely mind seeing the texture in the
book, it may make the pictures somewhat more authentic, especially when
I add a shadow.

Rolf