[scribus] Editing a book, any hints or gothchas?

Peter Nermander peter at nermander.se
Fri Jan 16 06:43:53 UTC 2015

> I'd like to use footnotes in each chapter, and afaiu it is available in
> 1.5,
> which isn't released yet. I'm on 1.4.4 on Ubuntu. What is your advice?

A lot of people are using 1.5, as far as I understand it works well,
however don't blame us if all your work suddenly disappears:)

> Is there any way to automatically add text frames that fills the page
> margin
> when you add pages? Right now I'm copy/pasting a blank text frame as I go
> when I add pages, but that's a bit tedious and error prone.

This feature is called Automatic text frames.

You can also have a look at the scrapbook feature to easily insert
pre-defined frame sets on pages.

> The search/replace in the story editor is great. I get scripts that have

titles prefixed with H1, H2, etc, so it is easy to map that to the styles

You know that there are import filters that can take care of that during
text import?

Oh, and in general, what is the common way to work with cover pages? Do
> I maintain that as a separate document?

Since the cover is generally printed separately, a separate document is
most likely the best way to go. Most printers want the cover as a one page
document (including front, back and spine, where you need to calculate the
spine width based on paper weight).

/Peter