[scribus] Printing service problem with Scribus

Rolf-Werner Eilert eilert-sprachen at t-online.de
Tue Jan 13 17:21:15 UTC 2015

Am 13.01.2015 17:12, schrieb Gregory Pittman:
> On 01/13/2015 09:38 AM, Rolf-Werner Eilert wrote:
>> Nice idea with a shell script, but I guess that wasn't the problem here.
>> It was about the main font used, and I checked for it right now, so no
>> indication I forgot.
>>

> One thing to do is to look at the PDF under Adobe Reader and see what it
> tells you about fonts. It should indicate if they are there or not.

Hmmm. It says, all fonts are embedded, but one: "FoS0". ??? Never knew I
used such a strange one.

The other thing is, I have my main font, Syntax, as Adobe Type 1 and as
TrueType, and with different weights. They are all embedded. Maybe one
of them went crazy?

> There may be some truth to printers having a bad opinion about Scribus,
> but this is likely a cover for their own inadequacies and lack of
> knowledge, as well as perhaps some laziness in not keeping their own
> software up to date.

Up to now, I've never had such problems with Scribus, even with older
versions. But you never should say never...

> When we sent the PDF of the Scribus manual and it didn't work at first,
> he was able to figure out why. IIRC, we ended up having to outline some
> fonts to get it to work.

Yes, outline. Maybe including all paths would avoid such things? But it
will blow up the file, won't it.

Rolf