[scribus] some fun with the Scribus manual

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Dec 10 01:15:08 UTC 2015

Maybe this will suggest a bridge to a stripping out of the online
manual, but anyway I provide this as a means for people to play with
their manuals.

What I have done is create an XSLT file to go with the documentation.

I named mine "scribus_manual.xsl", so one thing to do is find the
location of the menu.xml file, and add this as a second line:

<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="scribus_manual.xsl"?>

Now make a new file, scribus_manual.xsl, and put this text in it:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

  <xsl:template match="/">
    <h2>Scribus Manual</h2>
      <xsl:for-each select="menu">
	<xsl:for-each select="area">
	  <h3><a href="{@file}" ><xsl:value-of select = "@text" /></a></h3>
	  <xsl:for-each select="submenuitem">
	    <h4><a href="{@file}" ><xsl:value-of select = "@text" /></a></h4>
		<xsl:for-each select="submenuitem">
		  <ul>
		    <li><a href="{@file}" ><xsl:value-of select = "@text" /></a></li>
		  </ul>
		</xsl:for-each>
	  </xsl:for-each>

	</xsl:for-each>
      </xsl:for-each>
  </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

Put this file in the directory where menu.xml and all the html files are
for the manual.
Now use any browser to link to the XML file:

~/scribusdir/share/doc/scribus/en/menu.xml

If you know HTML, you can embellish what you get by adding elements to
the XSL file for graphics or whatever.

Greg

PS. if these tags get messed up in the mail server, I'll post this in
the wiki.