[scribus] add unstable scribus to fedora repository

John Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Tue Dec 8 19:24:04 UTC 2015

On Tue, 8 Dec 2015 17:08:17 +0100
ale rimoldi <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:

> hey greg
>
> On 08/12/15 16:43, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> > It's actually worse than that. Because our
> > online docs that come with Scribus have a
> > license that Fedora folks don't like, they do
> > not want to have it in their repository.
> >
> sorry, i have to disagree with you here.
>
> it's not about the fedora folks not liking it.
>
> it's about the scribus documentation license
> defining some constraints that are not
> compatible with the rules that all (or most)
> distributions have defined for free packages.
>
> as far as i understand it, the basic idea is
> that all packages that are in the repositories
> tagged as free -- which are the ones enabled by
> default -- must not add new constraints on top
> of the ones in the standard free licenses (gpl,
> bsd, mit, mozilla, ...). by doing so, the
> distributions make sure that one can safely
> install software and use it for any purpose she
> sees fit. without having to check each
> package's license! (of course, as long as she
> agrees with the basic rules...). as soon as you
> enable the non-free packages, you should start
> checking each package and find out what you're
> allowed to do and what not.
>
> anyway, you normally can get the scribus
> documentation from the non-free repositories.
> but it does not get installed by default
> alongside with scribus. (that's the big issue:
> it's not installed by default!)
>
> the scribus docs are not the only case that is
> excluded from the "free" repositories. one well
> know case, asks to use the software for good
> and not for evil: it's also banned to the
> non-free repositories.
>
> ciao
> a.l.e
>
> ___
> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
> See also:
> http://wiki.scribus.net
> http://forums.scribus.net

I run Jluc's script overnight to download,
compile and update the 1.5.1 version. I can
download 1.5.0 from the regular site. I don't
depend on my OS (slackware 14.1) to get involved
other than to provide the necessary compilation
tools and the required libraries. And often I
have to download, compile, install libraries.

I don't depend on the OS to provide updated
copies of anything. I get Inkscape, Gimp, TeX
Scribus etc. directly from the home domains of
these products.

Being dependent on an OS distro to keep my
important software up to date never made any sense
to me. That sounds more like Microsoft then Linux.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press