[scribus] add unstable scribus to fedora repository

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Tue Dec 8 16:08:17 UTC 2015

hey greg

On 08/12/15 16:43, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> It's actually worse than that. Because our online docs that come with
> Scribus have a license that Fedora folks don't like, they do not want to
> have it in their repository.

sorry, i have to disagree with you here.

it's not about the fedora folks not liking it.

it's about the scribus documentation license defining some constraints
that are not compatible with the rules that all (or most) distributions
have defined for free packages.

as far as i understand it, the basic idea is that all packages that are
in the repositories tagged as free -- which are the ones enabled by
default -- must not add new constraints on top of the ones in the
standard free licenses (gpl, bsd, mit, mozilla, ...).
by doing so, the distributions make sure that one can safely install
software and use it for any purpose she sees fit. without having to
check each package's license!
(of course, as long as she agrees with the basic rules...).
as soon as you enable the non-free packages, you should start checking
each package and find out what you're allowed to do and what not.

anyway, you normally can get the scribus documentation from the non-free
repositories.
but it does not get installed by default  alongside with scribus.
(that's the big issue: it's not installed by default!)

the scribus docs are not the only case that is excluded from the "free"
repositories. one well know case, asks to use the software for good and
not for evil: it's also banned to the non-free repositories.

ciao
a.l.e