[scribus] Grayscale palette

Barry McKenna bmcken at pobox.com
Thu Dec 3 08:06:43 UTC 2015

On 12/2/2015 10:19 PM, "Christoph Schäfer" wrote:
>   >>>
> Hi, I don't have 1.4.5, but I think it is the same as 1.5.x
>
> File->Export->Save as PDF
>    Select X-3
> Output to file dialog->color Tab
> Select Grayscale
>
> See
> http://members.pcug.org.au/~rcook/scribus/Colors_Option_PDFexport.png
> options or unsubscribe:
> http://wiki.scribus.net http://forums.scribus.net
> <<<
>
> Owen,
>
> With v1.5 (what OS?), are you sure that you get the option to change the
> PDF/X-3 "Color" to "grayscale"?
>
> On my Winx64 1.4.5 x64 install, the "grayscale" option only appears if I
> have selected v1.3, 1.4, or 1.5.
>
> For PDF/X-1a, and /X-3, it locks/grays out to "Printer," which leads me
> to believe that I'll have to install some additional profile because the
> "Pre-Press PDF/X Output Intent" is limited to only "Agfa: Swop
> Standard," and "Fogra27L CMYK Coated Press."
> Hi Barry,
>
> Output intent is greyed out for a good reason in PDF/X, because it's a profile-based standard. So if you have a greyscale-only file (remember that a b/w RGB image may still use 3 colour + Alpha channels, depending on the conversion process from colour to greyscale), you should use a greyscale ICC profile. As we always say: Talk to your printer!
>
> Christoph
>
> ___

But Christoph,

The question is "how do I use/apply a <grayscale> profile to PDF/X-3
output?"

The specs on the profile that my PDF/X-3 is forced to use is
either--Agfa SWOP--which is limited to 97% or 98% black.

The other is ...CMYK...does that "translate" into something "grayscale"
when the text is all black?

Is this going to be sufficient for my publisher?

She said, very warmly and pleasantly, that any grayscale profile will
work for them with PDF/X-3.

** Now I must ask: since selecting the PDF 1.3-1.5 options allow for
"grayscale," will we ever know "what" that "grayscale" profile is,
explicitly?

My totally newbie digital understanding (but 4-color imposition flatwork
background) discourages me from what seems as a reasonable hope out of
this dilemma, for now.

So, my endless mystery remains: Can I use Scribus to apply an
[identifiable] "grayscale" profile to PDF/X-3 Printer output?

The Agfa SWOP and the Fogra27L CMYK Coated Press are the only options I
can access.

I posted about installing/pasting a grayscale profile to the Scribus
...\profiles, but my Scribus installs do not seem to recognize it,
either in 1.4.5, nor in 1.5.0.

Must I resort to my publisher's last resort: a bitmap tiff? Which still
reports 238 colors designed and exported from Scribus, when the EXIF is
examined--even though it is totally (allegedly) _black_.

Or...horror and dread of all dreads: A lifetime subscription to allow
Adobe to install a catheter in my arm and withdraw their "blood" money,
year after year??

~<::}

Barry