[scribus] Kickstarter for non-profit Scribus users

ZASKE Martin zm at revue-gugu.org
Mon Aug 17 10:34:53 UTC 2015

Dear list,

at the risk of annoying you, I am on holiday... So I have a little time
for fun-browsing.

I had heard of Kickstarter from my computer magazine, but had never
taken time to look. So I was exited yesterday to see that they have an
entire section dedicated to Publishing!

This is old news to many of you. But since again and again people on
this Scribus-list are mentioning that they are doing non-profit work,
and since there are always new users starting out, I still want to
mention this possibility.

Even if you say "Yes, but what I am doing is for a very special
audience, who would want to kick-fund my work?" this could be
interesting to you:
	You could use Kickstarter as a tool to have your own readers (or your
audience) fund your stuff; just set up your next project and send out
messages to your (potential) readers and see what happens.

There is no magic money there. You still have to do great DTP-work
yourself and people still have to like your output. But this tool might
take some of the hassle out of the funding-admin, especially for
starting publications or for things that are meant to be published
online (for free).
	I read some of the guidelines and help-stuff for setting up a new
project on Kickstarter. Found some useful concepts. Even if you know
your content (for example Whale breeding) and you know your Scribus and
got some friendly Whale-breeding-community going; setting up a
funding-project will force/help you to think through the budget and
timing and capacity issues of your next awesome publication.

I had intended yesterday to just do some browsing but got exited about
an art-book, so before I knew it, I had become a (happy) sponsor myself:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/492806857/this-is-then-that-was-now-rebooted

for what it's worth,

Martin