[scribus] Font fury

William Bader williambader at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 11 16:02:52 UTC 2015

> Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 09:41:49 -0400
> From: John at wexfordpress.com
> To: scribus at lists.scribus.net
> Subject: Re: [scribus] Font fury
>
> On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 23:32:49 +0200
> JLuc <jluc at no-log.org> wrote:
>
> > Le 10/08/2015 22:12, John Culleton a écrit :
> > > Proofs cost money. How can I be sure that the
> > > fonts are in the pdf file before I ship it to
> > > the printer?
> >
> > Have a look at the scribus project manager
> > https://github.com/JLuc/scribus-project-manager/
> >
> > it features some tools to check files
> > https://github.com/JLuc/scribus-project-manager/blob/master/slacheck
> >
> > and one of them is dedicated to fonts :
> > https://github.com/JLuc/scribus-project-manager/blob/master/slacheckfonts
> >
> > JLuc
>
> I downloaded the last script and ran it against
> my cover file with the .sla omitted. It errored
> out on line 36.
>
> I am still concerned about the fact that all
> the fonts were checked as being embedded before
> I uploaded the pdf. If it fails again I may
> switch all fonts to the Dejavu family. They seem
> to work.
> --
> John Culleton
> Wexford Press
> Book layout, typesetting and Indexing
> Free list of books for self-publishers:
> http://wexfordpress.net/shortlist.html

You can double check the PDF with pdffonts ( part of http://poppler.freedesktop.org/ ) or with ghostscript.

Example embedded font: pdffonts says "emb" "yes", and gs does not search for any fonts.
$ pdffonts scribusleg.pdf
name                                 type              encoding         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- ---------------- --- --- --- ---------
ArialMT                              CID TrueType      Identity-H       yes no  yes     13  0
$ gs -sDEVICE=nullpage -dNOPAUSE scribusleg.pdf -c quit | grep font

Example of a PDF with a missing font where the font is on my system so it looks OK when I view it, but it could print badly. pdffonts says "emb" "no", and gs shows that it loaded a font.
$ pdffonts testpreflight.pdf
name                                 type              encoding         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- ---------------- --- --- --- ---------
Times-Roman                          Type 1            Standard         no  no  no       8  0
$ gs -sDEVICE=nullpage -dNOPAUSE testpreflight.pdf -c quit | grep font

Example of a PDF with a missing font where the font is not on my system. pdffonts shows "emb" "no", and gs shows that it substituted the font because it couldn't find it.
$ pdffonts 80698010-killeen-subst.pdf
name                                 type              encoding         emb sub uni object ID
Spartan-HeavyClassified              TrueType          WinAnsi          no  no  no       5  0
$ gs -sDEVICE=nullpage -dNOPAUSE 80698010-killeen-subst.pdf -c quit | grep font
Substituting font Helvetica-Bold for Spartan-HeavyClassified.

Regards,William Bader   Director of Research and Development at SCS, http://www.newspapersystems.com