[scribus] Auto Page Numbering with master pages

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sun Apr 26 13:49:48 UTC 2015

On 04/26/2015 04:31 AM, ale rimoldi wrote:
> hi barry
>
>> Automatic Page Numbering is not working for me (I've never tried it
>> over the 10 years of Scribus use, many thanks), either with
>> Ctrl+Alt+Shift+P, or changed to another combo.
>>
>> I have right and left Master Pages with only page number frames,
>> applied successfully to a document with thebottomcorner text frame
>> showing on each document page, with the "#" inserted as the page
>> number placeholder, as I have read in numerous sources.
>>
>> The "Section" was already set up, I only changed the "Name" from "0"
>> to "Main text."
>>
>> Intuitively, it seems that "something" should be selected before
>> applying a key combo, but Scribus and DTP is another culture, so I
>> don'tknow how to conceptualize that...
>>
>> I searched and only found the exact same description, as above,
>> except for suggestions to change the key combo, if it doesn't work
>> (apparently for some or more), but my searching has never come across
>> another page number key combo that DID work.
>>
>> Now, I see that "manual" use of Ctrl+Alt+Shift+P, clicked into a
>> suitable frame in another test doc, does insert the correct page
>> numbers.
>>
>> It also seems that the scheme for requiring the "#" inserted as the
>> page number placeholder is not required in the manual use of
>> Ctrl+Alt+Shift+P, as it just remains there.
>>
>> So, now I wonder about how to use the "#" or not, with Automatic Page
>> Numbering.
>>
>> A Menu Item for "Insert/Page Numbers" might be intuitively helpful?
> insert > character > page number
>
> and having a keyboard shortcut seems a bit meaningless to me, since this
> is a function most people use very rarely (once or twice per document?)
> and it's easier to go to the navigation rather than remembering that
> over complicated shortcut.
>
> the page number has to be inserted in a text frame.
>
> the # is shown in a master page, on a normal page you will see
> the current page number.
>
> but i have to admit that -- up to the menu item thing -- i did not
> really understand what your question is...

Not sure either, but maybe there is a misunderstanding about this '#'.
The is not a normal '#' such as you might type from the keyboard. This
appears on the Master Page to show that you have entered the special
page numbering character. While you're editing the Master Page, you
can't see any difference from the '#' as a character, but once you apply
it to a page you will see it as the page number instead. If it still
looks like '#' you haven't done it right.
If you use Story Editor while editing the Master Page, the Page Number
'#' should show in red, the normal '#' character in black.

I do see that there is a little bit of weirdness. For example, if I am
on page 3, and I have already made a text frame with the page number
character on the Master Page, then go back to edit the Master Page, it
shows as the page number (for whatever page I was on) rather than the
special character (seems to be a minor bug, and is present in 1.4.x and
1.5.0). I did note that Scribus will not allow you to enter more than
one page number character sequentially, but you can have more than one
if there is another character or space in between.

Greg