[scribus] identifying grouped object with the scripter

Big Brother big.bros at free.fr
Thu Apr 23 17:50:47 UTC 2015

Thank you.

You're right : I'm trying to make a script to automate the making of a
catalog.
On one hand, i have a csv file with all the needed informations
On the other, i'd like to have a scribus file defining some named groups
of objects i'd use as template.
As i'm working on it on 3 differents computers (2 on windows), it's not
very easy to install the 1.5 (compilation on windows... As i mainly use
python, i'm not very fluent with compilation) now but i'm waiting it
impatiently.

At first glance, I'd prefere to avoid working with xml but the 1.4 API
doesn't deal easily with groups (i could be careful with the naming of
my objects to make up for it) and i can't find how to duplicate an
object and put it on another page (as there are hundreds of products, I
need tens of pages :-) ).
If I can't do that, i simply can't use the scripter so i have to give a
second glance :-)

At second glance, the xml file is rather easy to understand (with the
doc) and i need very few properties.
Groups can be identified and putting an object on a page seems rather
easy (not sure, we'll see).

As it is just a matter of copy and paste (i don't create objects which
is not a copy of another), i thing this may be possible without too much
headache (just change the name, position... ?).

So, when the 1.5 will be out, i'll definitely give it a chance but as i
don't know when this will happen, i'm looking at the xml file too.