[scribus] large pdf file

JLuc jluc at no-log.org
Fri Apr 10 05:28:45 UTC 2015

Le 10/04/2015 03:04, Ray a écrit :
> Hi Folks,
> As an 82 yr old I have a task from someone to edit a large 500page, 300+MB PDF file.
> I know Scribus opens pdf files but not this one, presumably 'cause of its size.
> I have tried other programs too but they won't open it either.
> I am using Mint 17.1 OS and Scribus 1.4.3.svn.
> Is there some way (or pdf program) I can use to open the file and maybe break it down into smaller groups of pages, so
> that Scribus will then open it for editing ?

You can split the PDF in smaller parts first.
Use pdftk to split it.

sudo apt-get --yes install pdftk
pdftk mylargefile.pdf cat 1-25 output pages1-25.pdf
pdftk mylargefile.pdf cat 26-50 output pages26-50.pdf
etc
and then open the resulting smaller pdfs.

But Scribus 1.4 isnt so good at opening PDFs.
In case you can compile 1.5 it would be worth trying with it.
(See http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Building_SVN_versions_with_CMake)

JL