[scribus] Missing Fonts in PDF

Jean-Luc Waber jlwaber at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 17:50:34 UTC 2015

I have a problem with our new printer in Poland. He says that the fonts
are missing in our PDF (Version 1.4). I use scribus 1.4.5 for Windows
and have the fonts embedded. I see the embedded fonts in Adobe Reader
Properties (e.g. Fontin (Embedded), True Type, Encoding: Custom)(or URW
Regular ...).
They told me to make PDF X/1-A, but also there they tell me the fonts
are missing. In the past I had the exact same files printed in Korea
with no problems. This is what the new printer tells me:
> I have received 3 books with covers. Our Pit Stop program shows that
> there are still missing fonts. Some files are almost OK, and fonts
> are missing only on one "impressum" page for instance.

The book-file which is almost ok was done with Indesign by a friend, I
just had to change the impressum page for the new edition, and this page
was done with scribus (which seems to have a missing font) and then
assembled with jPDFTweak.

> We have consulted this situation with software manufacturer and found
> out that newest upgrade of our RIP program used for rasterizing
> images have feature that can help a lot in situation of missing
> fonts.

But the fonts shouldn't be missing in the PDF! Does anybody have an idea
what is going on here?

Thanks for your help!
Jean-Luc