[scribus] How to install Scribus 1.4.4 in Linux Mint 17

Tony Hamilton-tony shaky.start at ntlworld.com
Mon Sep 29 15:56:02 UTC 2014

I'm trying to follow the tutorial 'Get Started with Scribus 2006' using
Scribus 1.4.2 under Linux Mint 17, 32 bit.

I am experiencing a disappointing number of problems getting the results
described in this old tutorial. Guessing that some issues might be
caused by bugs I decided to try to install 1.4.4 (1.4.2 being the
version installed by Synaptic in my version of Linux). Attempting this
leads me to a stream of errors:

1. I am invited to install the scribus-archive-keyring using synaptic.
No such package can be found.
2. If I use a manual method for that install, the key server  quoted
(wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net) is invalid
3. If I used a valid keyserver (wwwkeys.pgp.net) I am told there is a
keyserver error.
4.If I try to run gui-apt-key - as suggested elsewhere - I find that
this command does not exist in my system.

Why is it so hard to find and install the latest stable Scribus package?