[scribus] focusing on what has been undone

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Wed Oct 22 11:48:59 UTC 2014

On 10/22/2014 04:08 AM, ale rimoldi wrote:
> hi
>
> here is a question to you, about how scribus should behave when undoing.
>

> four years ago i created a ticket for it
>
> http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=8745
>
> and two years ago chelen uploaded a patch.
>
> now, craig brought up some cases where the patch is not working as the
> user would expect (... personally, i don't really understand what's the
> matter is in those cases, but i assume that they are legit) and the
> ticket has been closed as "won't fix".
>

> personally, i had a bad feeling about it and just did a short test.
> there is indeed at least one case where, scribus does
> not behave as i would expect:
>
> - create a two pages document
> - if you're monitor is somehow like mine, you will see only one page on
>   it.
> - scroll down to the second page.
> - add a text frame.
> - scroll up to the first page
> - undo.
>
> the frame on the second page is removed without the user having a
> chance to see what happened.
>
> in my eyes a dangerous behavior.
>
> and there are other cases, where i think scribus is not helping me
> enough, understanding what the undo is doing.
>

> what do you think about it?
>
> how should scribus behave in such cases?
>
> is the current behavior ok for you?

I guess I wonder why someone would be blindly undo-ing something without
knowing what they were undoing. You can alway redo if you are confused
by what may have happened, and there is the Action History, which should
show you what was done.

Could there be a popup that tells you what object was carried out in the
undo? Let's say you delete an object, and Scribus moves to that
page...are you going to know what it did? There is no object there anymore!

Greg