[scribus] New tutorial on curves tool. - of topic - just I remember

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Mon Nov 17 16:39:55 UTC 2014

On 11/17/2014 10:54 AM, Jean-François Lemaire wrote:
> On Monday 17 November 2014 10:09:45 Gregory Pittman wrote:
>> On 11/17/2014 06:51 AM, tomas wrote:
>
>>> Is about more of the efficient workflow then windoze or linux user. I am
>>> Ubuntu and MacOSX user, I not saw closely windows from years. I don’t not
>>> now how hard is to implement the 'bezier tool’ from Inkscape to Scribus,
>>> or change the Scribus code of ’bezier tool’, but I think is better if the
>>> tool works in same way in both apps (and repet myself, in same way like
>>> in all other major DTP & Draw apps)
>> I think it would help if you could articulate how the Bezier works in
>> these apps that is so much different. I have a hard time seeing any
>> practical difference.
>
> If I may provide some input into this discussion: with Scribus' bezier tool,
> in order to create a curved segment you have to move your hand in the
> /opposite/ direction of the curve, which is totally counter-intuitive and
> contrary to any other vector application I know of. I use Inkscape and/or
> Illustrator daily and have a long experience with vector applications but I'm
> totally incapable of using the bezier tool of Scribus. My brain can't get
> around this weird behaviour.

To me, you only highlight the confusion I have about this.
AFAICT, there are basically two modes in which you might use the Bezier
tool to draw a curve:

1. As in the wiki tutorial, click, then click-drag. With this method,
the curve in Scribus is formed in the /same/ direction as cursor
movement, and with Inkscape, it's the /opposite/.

2. Click-drag, then let up. Here, I see the same thing with Scribus and
Inkscape -- the convexity of the curve curve bends in the /opposite/
direction of cursor movement, but since you're managing the end of the
curve, this makes sense.

One perhaps handy feature in Inkscape is that as you're doing this you
see the vector extensions from the node.

Something else about Inkscape is that when you select Bezier, you stay
in Bezier mode till you choose something else.

Greg