[scribus] Libre Calendar 2015

Jehan Pagès jehan.marmottard at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 11:24:46 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 8:16 PM, Kunda Loves Scribus
<scribus.user at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 4:35 PM, Jehan Pagès <jehan.marmottard at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>

>> A part of the sale profit will go to the artists, and we also want to
>> donate to a selection of Free Software. Among them, I thought that
>> Scribus is a good donation target. But I realized that I can't find
>> any donation information on your webpage. Searching the web, I found
>> year-old emails saying that an organism able to receive funds was
>> going to be created, but I can't find if that actually ever happen.
>>
>> Can the Scribus project receive any donation in a way or another to
>> help with development?
>> If not, I'll have to update the website.
>>
>> In any case, if you like the project, don't hesitate to go and buy a
>> calendar. :-)
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Jehan
>>

> Hi Jehan,
> Thanks for this post and for your work on GIMP and F/OSS in general. It was
> exciting to see that your crowdfunded campaign achieved it's monetary goal.

Yep. I'll need to get going on developing seriously this feature now though. :-)

> Right now, I don't know of any way Scribus receives donations. I think it
> would be beneficial to do so but really, I have no idea what is involved
> with that. I most likely am ignorant of what that entails and don't want to
> step on any toes in the process. I remember several months ago Alex
> Prokoudine from Libre Graphics World posting about this topic. Not much
> came of it, AFAICT. Maybe your email will trigger a discussion on this
> topic.

Ok well I got an off-list reply today. I don't know what I am allowed
to say about its contents, but basically it seems something will be
arranged for the donation, on behalf of Scribus.

In any case, I don't know exactly if this arrangement is a long term
or short term one for Scribus, but it would be good for the project to
have a legal way to receive regular donations on the website. At first
it allows you to fly your contributors to various events (like LGM),
and even host them perhaps. That's the way the GIMP project mainly
uses its own donations (managed through the GNOME Foundation since
GIMP either does not have a legal entity for itself). And who knows,
if you had a lot more someday, you can even pay development.

Just an idea thrown there for all smaller projects: why don't you
entrust another existing FLOSS organism (which has its legal entity)
to take care of your donations? This is what GIMP does through the
GNOME Foundation. And many software which don't have their own legal
entity do something of the sort. There are a lot of Free Software
organisms which would be happy to do so for Scribus (I'm sure). But
anyway seems something of the sort will happen soon for your project,
but once again I don't want to speak out of line.

Thanks Scribus!

Jehan