[scribus] building Scribus 1.5 SVN with Qt 5.3?

plinnell plinnell at scribus.net
Sat May 31 17:43:43 UTC 2014

On Sat, 31 May 2014 09:26:23 -0400
"Wayne DePrince Jr." <waynedpj at in-giro.org> wrote:

> ahoy all,
>
>     first, congrats on the recent 1.4.4 release.
>
>     i have been using Scribus 1.5 SVN for a project and updating to
> current SVN every so often, building without issue.  recently my
> package manager (portage/emerge/Gentoo) updated Qt to 5.3 and now the
> latest Scribus revision 19163 will not build.  it errors out with the
> following message:
>

> [ 67%] Building CXX object
> scribus/CMakeFiles/scribus-1.5.0.svn.dir/ui/helpbrowser.cpp.o /opt/Scribus/src/scribus/ui/helpbrowser.cpp:48:20:
> fatal error: QPrinter: File o directory non esistente compilation
> terminated.
>

>     i have researched the issue and perhaps it is a problem with the
> project's .PRO file as suggested here:
>
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19145763/qt-cannot-open-include-file-qprinter
> http://qt-project.org/wiki/Transition_from_Qt_4.x_to_Qt5#a17a776d9397365e5aaee5728681d64e
>
> however this deals specifically with the transition from 4.x to 5.x of
> Qt, and Scribus was building fine with Qt 5.2.1.  regardless, i do
> see a "Scribus.pro" file in the source and added the "QT +=
> printsupport" as advised in the above links but still receive the
> same error.
>
>     thus, i am wondering if anyone is building Scribus successfully
> with Qt 5.3 and if so, what did they do to overcome this problem?
> unfortunately it is not easy for me at the moment to downgrade to Qt
> 5.2.1, so getting this working is important as i am debugging a much
> more insidious Scribus bug and i want to be sure it occurs in the
> latest revision before submitting a bug report.
>
>     if it is useful, i could also post this to the Mantis bug tracker,
> but i would need an account first (desired username waynedpj).
>
>     thanks and let me know if any other info is needed.
>
> peace, w

I'm building and running Scribus 1.5.0 svn regularly here with Qt 5.2
and 5.3 on openSUSE 12.3 and 13.1 without issues.

Seems to be something local in the way Qt is built on Gentoo.  I know
you can tweak a lot of settings in Gentoo, which might be the cause.
Not blaming Gentoo... It is one of its features.

Cheers,
Peter