[scribus] Really big 'pages'.

ZASKE Martin zm at revue-gugu.org
Sun May 25 15:21:55 UTC 2014

On 24.05.2014 22:33, Gregory Pittman wrote:
> On 05/24/2014 03:34 PM, ZASKE Martin wrote:
>> On 23.05.2014 19:52, John Beardmore wrote:
>>> I'm making a couple of big banners under 1.4.4svn. The size is 2000mm
>>> tall, 800mm wide, with 150mm bleed at the bottom.
>>>
>>> I can set up a document with these dimensions as a custom page size, but
>>> if I 'Fit to height' it doesn't show quite all the page.
>>>
>>> If I try to zoom out to see an overview it won't. Is this a known
>>> problem ?
>>>

>>> Cheers, J/.
>> Hi J.,
>>
>> thank you for pointing this out. I tried your layout on Version 1.4.3
>> (Windows) and the smallest zoom I can get is 10% (status bar, bottom
>> left, zoom buttons or fit to hight). So fit to hight is not possible on
>> my Scribus either.
>>
>> I did a quick search on "zoom" in the bug tracker and there are some
>> issues, but to me it seems that nobody ever shouted for a zoom below 10%.
>>
>> I have done some few banners in the last three years which get printed
>> even bigger than 2000mm, and I believe a tool like Adobe Reader does not
>> mind showing even bigger stuff, at least I remember having seen my
>> design before I took the order to the shop. (Some landscape PR-banners I
>> created really big, I believe with Inkscape, and some were just blown-up
>> pages from our magazine.)
>>
>> So I would second a "feature request" for a future Scribus version to
>> support really big formats - and be able to show them on a screen. For
>> us this would fall into a priority "nice to have" but not very urgent. I
>> cannot envisage us, ever needing (or rather having money for) banners
>> larger than 10 meters; 3 to 4 meters more normal.
>>
>> Are the zoom limits fundamentally engrained in the code, or are those
>> parameters which could be "re-programmed" rather easily?
>>
>> What would other users need? Anybody need "extreme zooming" the other
>> way, i.e. beyond 3200%. Sometimes I am trying to "hide" tiny things
>> inside documents; and rarely I am searching for some mistaken mini-frame
>> (when I slipped off the mouse button), but so far no real need for
>> mega-zoom-in.
>>

> For extremes like this, it's worth looking at Preferences. One place is
> Tools > Zoom, to adjust min, max and stepping. The other is Display,
> where you can change the starting point of the size of a page display.
>
> Greg

Thank you Greg, that was really helpful. I had to play for a while to
figure that for an already existing document, I could only change by
document setup not by general setup, but whatever, Scribus once again
does more than is obvious at first glance!

More than the new absolute limits (1% to 3200%), I appreciate the
ability to reduce my zoom-steps, that will help even with everyday
documents.

Martin