[scribus] Stalking the wild 'RTL language support' in Scribus

Andreas Vox andreas.vox at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 17:33:16 UTC 2014

> Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 09:56:46 -0500
> From: Kunda Loves Scribus <scribus.user at gmail.com>
>
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 6:45 AM, Hans Schmidt <z0idberg at gmx.de> wrote:
>

>> Am 12.06.2014 23:16, schrieb ???? ??????:
>>> Yes Guys.
>>> This problem stand in face who want to use Scribus in more than 30% of
>> whole
>>> world that using RTL in their language.
>>>
>>> Our past work in Arabic group we can Fix Two issues from three ..
>>>
>>> 1 - RTL align
>>> 2 - RTL shaping
>>>
>>> The third one that Scribus PDF extraction in these languages.
>>> So I hope that you fix PDF extraction issue soon as you possible
>>> And I'll try to re-write our patch here to be compatible with devel
>>> branch of Scribus.
>>>
>>> Best Regards
>> Hello,
>>
>> In Arabic, the books are also printed right to left, right? This is also
>> true for Japanese so the Japanese support would also benefit from that.
>>
>> I think it would be very good if the CJK and RTL ?groups? would
>> coordinate their effort and see if there are some overlapping functions
>> which can be implemented.
>>
>> It would be really bad if now RTL support were implemented and when
>> there is (hopefully) eventually CJK support, everything would have to be
>> rewritten. So I guess it would be better if this could be discussed
>> beforehand :)
>>
>> As I said, I am more than willing to give advise for CJK scripts. I
>> would just need somebody interested.... ;)
>>

> Ok proposal for group,
> first the representatives:
>  RTL: Mossab
>  CJK: Hans
>  Scribus code code refactoring: Andreas
>

> Needed:
> * Code refactoring on PDF Extraction is needed before moving forward with
> Mossab's RTL patch improvements

I think what is meant is PDF Export. My PDF refactoring is somewhat different.

What is needed is a change of Scribus' text structures so that they can
store RTL and complex script information.

> * CJK scripter that can implement Hans's consultations before
> implementation of RTL

What do you mean with CJK scripter?
AFAIU the only overlap between CJK and RTL is in page ordering (changing Scribus to
display odd pages to the left and even pages to the right will be a PITA :-( )

/Andreas